Friday, January 8, 2010

Rock Gods vs. Rock Geeks

Recently something hit me over the head like a thunderclap even though I should have realized it sooner: There are no rock gods anymore. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great musicians out there making amazing rock music but there doesn't seem to anyone who inspires the way the old rockers did. There's a rock royalty. There are virtuosos, there are innovators and there are swaggering, cocky rockers but there aren't any rock gods these days. At least I haven't seen any that even remotely compare to the rock gods of old.

I know this idea is all wrapped up in the passage of time, trends and the perception of a rockers' public image. I understand that. What I'm referring to when I say "rock gods" is largely a visual thing that has little to do with the music itself. It's more than a tad shallow in that it's about partially appearance, but there's more to it than that. Rock gods have more than just a cocky swagger: they are larger than life. They are outrageously confident, they are brimming with raw sexuality and they have a magnetically appealing presence that is largely absent from the rockers of today. Let me show you what I'm talking about by comparing some images of some of the rock gods of the 60s and 70s with some of the top rockers popular today.

Who is more visually and emotionally appealing?


Led Zeppelin?

Or...


Radiohead?

Who exudes more confidence and power?


The Who
?

Or...

Franz Ferdinand?

Who could you not take your eyes off at a live concert?


Jimi Hendrix?

Or...


Matt Bellamy of Muse?

See what I mean?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing the popular rock musicians of today or the music they make. Their music is awesome. I respect all of them and enjoy their music quite frequently (and if you don't believe me just check out my library). But if/when I go to their concerts my eyes won't be glued to them. And perhaps that's the point.

Perhaps so many rockers of today are deliberately dorky, nerdy, etc., for the same reason some in Hollywood intentionally make themselves less attractive: so they will be taken seriously. They don't want to be considered sex symbols or idols to be worshiped. They want their music to be appreciated on its own merits. And I can understand that. I can't relate to it but I can see the reasoning behind it.

After all, who would want to work tirelessly for years, pour their heart and soul into music and finally get lucky enough to get a record deal and have all of their success written off because of their perceived good looks? Not Matt Bellamy, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment